Thursday 1 October 2009

Getting in the right head space for The ICA gig

It seems almost inconceivable that after planning and talking about something for so long that it should actually be happening tonight. Yet I have taken the day off and I am sat at home ready to go to the ICA. I don't have to leave for another 2 hours so I sit here fidgeting and worrying. There has been so much rehearsing, there have been so many plans, emails about confetti and bubble liquid, sleepless nights, bank accounts hemorrhaging money, I feel so uptight how can I possibly relax enough to enjoy the gig? I set off labouring over every step. Then I remember fourteen or so years ago I saw a great band at the ICA, they showed a film and then played a great set. Very inspiring and thoroughly arty! brilliant! Ever since that day I've wanted to do that kind of gig not just a gig but an event. Somehow tonight that will happen but also somehow my feet are getting heavier. I am utterly nervous. Ticket sales have gone well, rehearsals have been great, the German tour was successful but this is not filling me with the confidence it should.
Now I'm sat at the station totally on edge, I let the first train go. The second train I get on trying to empty my head. The Journey is too quick, arriving at Charing Cross I slowly leave the train making my way across Trafalgar Square toward the grand arches that lead to Buckingham palace. Bloody hell they are grand. Every step is heavy and slow, so slow. I pause when I see the ICA to take a couple of pictures and then I go in.

No comments:

Post a Comment